Monday, August 19, 2013

Free speech

*POOFF* look at that thick layer of dust we've got here. It has really been a long while since I last came here. Life has been wonderfully/terribly, anyhow you put it, busy. I've finally finished my first year of Med school at Cambridge about 3 months ago and am currently enjoying the bliss of summer holiday at home - Miri.

Many things had happened from my last post here. I got into depression, got out of it, got actively involved in Malaysian Night and ended up with 3-4 hours sleep for weeks due to the heavy workload, got elected in CCCF committee and pulled out because I really felt I was not at the right mind and heart of serving cheerfully and willingly (with so much on my hand during term), got into the biggest stress of my life - my first ever Cambridge Tripos. The amount of stress for 10 papers tripos was insane. I have no idea how I survived that, but thank God for His grace and providence, I am still here today.

It's so hard to get back to blogging after so long. It's not that there isn't enough time to blog during this summer (because I'm practically not doing too much compared to term) but there are just so many factors repelling me from expressing my thoughts here. 

1. What if my prospective employer sees this?

I have never thought of this question before until quite recently when I am editing my CV. (Yes, I am kiasu like that) I have a blog when I was younger which I blogged with full enthusiasm and passion for many years. Looking back, I could not thank my younger self more for recording all those funny moments down but even more, I was ROFL-ing literally. How did I wrote something SHO STUPID as Doggie's Cosplay Tutorial?!
*facepalm*

Taking a step back, I was thinking what would my future employer/colleagues think about me when access to the blog is as easy as googling my name? (I tried it.) No, I do not want to lock this blog up because when I set this blog up with the name the-whitecoat, it was meant to be shared, on my experience as a medical student onwards, truthfully and passionately. Therefore, I will keep my stance and keep this open, with no silly nicknames like *ehem*apreviouscantabwhowenttolondonforclinical*ehem* 

However, to prevent jeopardising my bright future as well, I need to think carefully before expressing any thought/ posting anything on the internet. I know I sound like my mom, but it's really time to think about this. I believe this does not apply online only, but in reality as well. When words are untrue or does not do any good to the listener, why would you say such thing? 

2. What if my sponsor sees this?

Recently, my best friend from Imperial told me that one of her friends who went for Bersih 2.0 rally in London, who was a government-sponsored student, was caught by the authorities and consequently, very very unfortunately, he lost his scholarship. He didn't post anything on the internet, neither did he informed anyone that he was going to attend the rally, how then did the sponsor knew about it? It may be his 'friends' who were giving his back a big big stab, or there might be government personnels spying around, but how did they recognised him among the huge crowd? *shrugs*

This scares me A LOT a little bit. What if I am just speaking up for something I think is right? What if I have no intention of offending whosoever in my country and definitely have NO INTENTION of talking against my country? I mean, why would I want to speak against my own people and my home? I rarely speak up, to be honest, but I hope that one day, when I gather to courage to speak up for something I believe is true, right and benefits my country, I will not get into trouble for that. For I do not want to be the coward who become dumb/deaf/blind to the needy, just because of my own interest is threatened. That's just selfish. And I believe my sponsor and my country sent me this far to see me grow, mature into a person with integrity and ability to think. 

“To sin by silence, when they should protest, makes cowards of men.” 
― Ella Wheeler Wilcox

“Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage.” 
― Winston Churchill

3. What if my parents see this?

I have no worries about this. What secrets that I can share with the world that I can't let my parents and family know? 
Hi Mom! Hi Dad! :D

There is freedom of speech online has always been a debate, and has got many people into controversies. With that said, should we all keep silent? NO! For the passion of sharing, of voicing out, of passing down the information through this free and easily accessible source to everyone is but the most prominent contribution of the 21st century human! 

Conclusion: Passion >  fear. *chucks fear out of the window*

“Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.” 
― Abbie Hoffman

No comments:

Post a Comment